Red Velvet Cake
- twenty cl semi-skimmed milk
- juice of one lemon
- two eggs
- two hundred g caster sugar
- two hundred eighty g T65 wheat flour
- one sachet of baking powder (ten g)
- fifteen g cocoa
- one hundred g melted butter
- half teaspoon powdered red food coloring
For the icing:
- five hundred g mascarpone
- two hundred fifty g icing sugar
For the red velvet cake:
1. Mix milk and lemon juice and let stand. The milk will sour and turn sour, this is normal. You just made homemade buttermilk.
2. In a bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the flour and baking powder then the milk, melted butter and cocoa. Add food coloring to color the dough red.
3. Pour this mixture into a cake tin covered with parchment paper (about twenty six cm in diameter).
4. Bake for twenty five minutes in the oven preheated to one hundred eighty °C. Remove from the oven, turn out onto a wire rack and let cool.
For the frosting:
1. Mix the mascarpone with the icing sugar, crushing the cheese with a fork. Work the mixture so that it is soft but not too runny.
2. Cut the cake in two (in three is even better). Spread the mascarpone icing on the inside and place the cake on the presentation dish. Spread the frosting over the top of the cake and along the sides.