Classic Southern Caramel Cake
- three egg whites
- five hundred ml (two cups) sugar
- one hundred eighty ml (3/4 cup) canola oil
- four egg yolks
- ten ml (2 tsp.) vanilla extract
- six hundred twenty five ml (2 1/2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) baking-powder
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- one ml (a quarter tsp) salt
- two hundred twenty ml (1 cup) milk, hot
- Caramel Buttercream
- one egg
- one egg white
- sixty ml (1/4 cup) water
- one hundred eighty ml (3/4 cup) sugar
- thirty ml (2 tbsp. ) corn syrup
- sixty ml (1/4 cup) 35% cream, hot
- three hundred ten ml (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- sixty ml (1/4 cup) water
- two hundred fifty ml (1 cup) sugar
- sixty ml (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of baking soda
- one hundred eighty ml (3/4 cup) store-bought milk jam (dulce de leche)
Putting grill at center of oven. Preheat oven one hundred eighty °C (350°F). Butter 2 20-cm (8-inch) springform pans. Line bottom with parchment paper.
In bowl, beating egg whites with an electric blender to soft peaks form. Gradually add one hundred twenty five ml (half cup) of the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. To book.
In another bowl, combine the oil, egg yolks and vanilla. To book.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, remaining sugar (three hundred seventy five ml / 1 1/2 cups), baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sink a well. Add the oil and egg mixture and the hot milk, stirring with a whisk until the mixture is smooth and homogeneous. Using spatula, sweetly fold in meringue. Divide the batter into the two pans. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool. Unmold & let cool on a wire rack.
Place the eggs in a large bowl.
In saucepan, bring water, sugar & syrup to a boil. Cook until the mixture caramelizes and takes on a golden color. Add the cream and mix well.
Beat the eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed until they become frothy. Drizzle the hot syrup over the eggs, avoiding the mixer beaters. Whisk continuously until completely cooled, about 15 minutes. Add the butter, one or two cubes at a time, beating until the mixture is very smooth.
Line a 43 X 30 cm (17 X 12 in) cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a saucepan, bring the water, sugar, butter and salt to a boil. Cook until the mixture caramelizes and takes on a golden color. Remove from the heat and immediately incorporate the baking soda with a whisk. Quickly pour onto the plate. Using a spatula, spread the caramel into a thin layer. Let cool completely and break into long pieces.
In a bowl, whisk the dulce de leche to soften it if necessary.
Remove the top from the cakes to flatten them as needed. Frost a cake with a third of the buttercream. Spread half of the milk jam over it. Cover with the second cake. Entirely glaze the cake with the rest of the buttercream and spread the rest of the milk jam in a drizzle on top of the cake. Press the pieces of caramel crunch all around the cake, overlapping them.